St Mary's Church
St Mary's Church
A bit of it’s history…
For nearly seven centuries, a place of Christian worship has stood on or near the present site. The earliest surviving record of a Rector dates to 1379, suggesting that a church had already been long established by that time. The first building is believed to have been a simple black-and-white timber structure.
The earliest parish records begin in 1572, likely in response to Cromwell’s directive that churches maintain official registers. A significant rebuilding occurred around this period, most likely on the same site as the present church. This structure appears to have remained largely unchanged until 1827, when it was declared “unsuitable for public worship” due to advanced decay.
In that year, it was resolved to demolish the old building and construct a new church upon the higher ground of the original site. The estimated cost of this replacement, described as “barn-like” in appearance, was £1,038. Bricks for the construction were quarried and made locally. The new church was consecrated in July 1828. However, the project burdened the churchwardens with debts so severe that High Court writs were issued and their personal property threatened. The crisis was averted when the parish agreed collectively to underwrite the costs.
Further alterations took place half a century later, when the Chancel was extended and both the Vestry and South Transept were added, the latter furnished with small pews for children. At this time, the old north door was closed and a new west entrance created. The choir vestry was constructed in 1905, followed by a covered passage connecting it to the main church the following year.
The church hall, standing nearby, was erected in 1967, marking the most recent major addition to the site’s long history of adaptation and renewal.
In 2004 a programme of refurbishment was undertaken in the church hall, with particular attention given to meeting the requirements of contemporary disability legislation. At the same time, improvements were also carried out within the main church building.
Further works followed in 2006, when the choir vestry underwent substantial modernisation. Facilities were upgraded to include renewed toilets, improved drainage, heating, and catering provisions, all with the intention of creating a more accessible space for disabled members of the congregation.
In September 2008 the church interior was further enhanced. New lighting was installed in the chancel, and the nave, chancel, and entrance porches were fully redecorated in lighter tones designed to give a refreshed and welcoming appearance. The bell-ringing chamber and staircase were also redecorated and re-carpeted at this time.
The parish continues to seek ways to improve its buildings, with the aim of making them both attractive and hospitable to congregation and visitors alike. One particular aspiration is to ease access via the relatively steep northern approach, though financial constraints have thus far delayed progress.
These efforts form part of a continuing policy of improvement, reflecting the parish’s commitment to serve the spiritual and practical needs of its community. Worship continues to be offered weekly, with the principal Sunday service held at 10.40 a.m. In addition, a service of Holy Communion according to the Book of Common Prayer takes place every Wednesday morning at 10.00 a.m. The parish warmly welcomes all who wish to join in worship.
Full details of our varied parish programme can be found on the page HERE.